Tuesday, July 14, 2009

ENTRY # SEVENTEEN HUNDRED & EIGHTY SIX

Good Morning.
.
.
LEARN BIRD SONGS.
.
Here above is a link that all you bird watchers will enjoy. You can see your state bird, and see other birds and enjoy their song. I have enjoyed this very much. I used this a few days ago, And I just wanted to remimd you of it once again. DAD...
.
Posted on 11 July 2009 by tomatocasual.com
Reader Questions: Too Much Rain for Tomatoes
.
By Vanessa Richins

.
Terri asks:

.
“I live in NJ, we’ve had too much rain; a few of my tomato plants are not doing well.
Is the rain the prob? Leaves are drooping, appreciate response.”
Hello Terri. It is probably true that too much rain is hurting your tomatoes.
It’s a strange thought isn’t it - when you think of wilting leaves, you would think it was due to lack of water. However, overwatering can also produce wilting leaves.
It’s especially problematic if you have a clay soil. In the different soil types, a key characteristic is the size of the soil particles. Clay soil has the smallest particles, so they are very close together and don’t drain water well.

.
Roots work in the soil to take up nutrients and grow. However, since they’re underground, they use a different energy process that requires oxygen, instead of photosynthesis. When the soil has too much water, the plants aren’t able to access the oxygen and start to die.
As
MSUCARES notes, “Sometimes tomato plants can recover from saturated conditions should soils dry out quickly, but roots are usually damaged so severely that investing in a new plant is the best way to go. Besides, even if the roots were to survive they would be susceptible to a number of soil borne diseases such as Pythium and Phytophthora root rot.”
It depends on just how long it’s been raining and how hard it was. You could perhaps wait a bit to see how they recover (hopefully). It might be easier, however, to just pull them out so that the root rots don’t set in.
I hope they still have a chance. Good luck!

.
Share Your Tomato Questions
Tomato Casual Answers Reader’s Question: What’s Up With My Tomato Juice?
Random Autumn Tomato Sightings in Portland, Oregon
.
.
In the last few days I have not been able to see the eaglets very often when I go up to the Eagle Web Cam . I found this link below that I thought was interesting. It tells about the sick eagle that we saw last year, read it and see how it is doing. DAD.
.

Last Season's Eaglet
The 2008 eaglet was removed from the nest in May to be treated for avian pox. He is currently thriving at the Wildlife Center of Virginia in Waynesboro.
Click for updates.
.
Here are a few wonderful receips, useing your crock pot. What could be easier than that, Even Dad can do some of these, and I am going to try. Click on link below.
,
http://www.campbellkitchen.com/mealideas.aspx?rc=897.
.

"Lord, please let me be half the person that my dog believes I am".
.
This saying above is for my friend Sara who I am sure that you know operates the Sara's Dog Training school. I don't miss a day without looking at her blog. If you love Shelties as much as Dad does you will be doing the same.
.
.
These links below are my most important Albums & Cams.
.
Dad's Tomato Garden Photo Album-2008.
.
.Dad's Tomato Garden Photo Album-2009.
.
DAD'S OUTDOOR WEB CAM # 1 Side view of garden.
.
DAD'S OUTDOOR WEB CAM # 2 View of lighted bird bath.
.
.© 2009 Dad's Tomato Garden Journal all rights reserved.

.

When I first started the blog this morning I did not have one thing in mind to write about. So I just typed in Good Morning and tried to think of something interesting to talk about. So don't be surprised if things look a little strange and all out of place, but I think that you know not to expect very much out of this old 96 year man. DAD.
.
Here is my thought for this Tuesday morning.
.
" Charity never faileth-."
.
This is the first part of verse 8 chapter 13 of 1st Corinthans.
.
I am going to stop right here. The tea & coffee is ready so be sure and don't leave untill I have filled your cup. This Starbucks coffee is good and strong this morning, and that is the way that I like it. I am going to try and see all of you in the morning.
.
Do your best to make this a good day. Smiling will be one way and another is to be kind to everyone that you are with today. Try it out for yourself and see if I am right.
.
Here is my email white6416r@aol.com and my cel phone # 865-850-5763
.
BYE BYE DAD
.
.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Morning, Dad! Your thoughts and comments are always interesting, even when you think you have nothing to say. I always get something good from reading your journal. Hug for you!

Sara said...

Thanks for a good "dog quote" this morning! I will keep that in mind as I go through my day today! My dogs do help keep things in perspective.

Hope you enjoyed your Starbucks. Coffee must be strong, otherwise, what is the point of drinking it?

Anonymous said...

Good morning Dad...
I enjoyed your thought of the day. I hope you and Mary have a beautiful day. Many hugs and love to you both,
Joyce

Kelly said...

Good afternoon Dad. :) I am having a good day so far today...I hope you are too! I was just stopping in to say hello and see how you are doing. Looks like things are just fine around there and you be sure and tell Mary hello. :) Love, Kelly

jmuhj said...

Dear Dad and Ms. Mary:

I see two eaglets right now; one is in the nest relaxing, and the other is "branching". I love seeing the beautiful red rose for your little angel girl! and hope you both have a beautiful afternoon and evening. Love and hugs from Jamaka and fams