Thursday, May 10, 2012

Obituary

In Memory of Ray F. White
September 2, 1913 - May 9, 2012

IMG_1432-1White, Ray F. age 98, born September 2, 1913, passed away May 9, 2012 at Physicians Regional Medical Center. He was a non-denominational Christian. He was founder and co-owner of White Brothers Poultry & Egg Company and since his retirement he has enjoyed gardening, raising tomatoes and roses. One of his greatest joys was feeding the birds and wildlife at his home which was designated as a Wildlife Habitat. In 2003, he began blogging with his well-known blog, "Dad's Tomato Garden." He had many friends and followers from all over the world.

Preceded in death by beloved wife, LaVerne R. White; parents, Harris and Maude White; grandson, Greg White; brothers, Ralph, Earl, Howard, and Willard. Survivors, son and daughter-in-law, James and Beverly White of Kingsport; daughter, Mary L. White of Knoxville; grandchildren, Kevin and wife, Lesley White of Kingsport, Bethany R. White of New Jersey; great grandchildren, Mandy and husband Alex Rogers, Kara White and Zachary White; Mandy's mother, Sylvia Massey; sister, Helen Weals; brother, Roy and wife, Mavis White; several nieces and nephews.

The family will receive friends 6:00-8:00 PM Friday, May 11, 2012 in the chapel of Berry Funeral Home, Chapman Highway with funeral service to follow at 8:00 PM.

Ministers Greg Harger and Robert Johnson will officiate. Family and friends will meet at Woodlawn Cemetery on Saturday, May 12, 2012 for a 10:30 AM interment service.

Pallbearers will be Don Johnson, Lance George, John Delius, Pat Cooke, Ted Beightol, Jerry Walker and Michael VanVuuren. Honorary pallbearers are Jerry Pell, John Walker, Woodrow Franklin, Jay Conatser, Pinky Conatser, Ben Burnette, and Don Brawdy. Condolences may be offered at www.berryfuneralhome.com.

18 comments:

Cindi said...

We'll miss you Dad, prayers sent for your family & friends...

Sara said...

Dear Dad's family,
My deepest sympathy to all of you during this sad time. I'm so grateful that I got to know and love your Dad. This weekend, I am going out to buy a bird feeder in honor of your Dad. Each time I fill it with seed, I will remember the words of wisdom and kindness that your Dad shared.

Love to all,
Sara,Jeff,Oreo & Chewy

Rita Mosquita said...

Thank you for posting this. I know it is not an easy time for the family. Dad was an inspiration in so many ways.

For a minute I couldn't find his blog this morning and thought it had been removed. I hope that it is never taken down.

Please accept my deepest sympathy and condolences.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Your Dad will always be remembered as a great man. Thank you for keeping in touch with us here on blogger. He lived a great long life and I was glad I got to know him. Bless you all at this time of loss and sorrow.

Joan said...

Jim, Mary, Beverly and family...

I am so sorry for your loss.

DAD was truly a wonderful, wise, witty, spiritual, inspiring man. We who meet him through this blog will miss him so much. He always helped to motivate us, give us food for thought and always made us smile. "Time is Precious, Do Not Waste It" and "Live For Others" was his daily way of telling us to think about what is important in life. We never met but I proudly call him "friend". He was always there and I will miss him greatly.

Deepest sympathy to the White family. ...Sara's Mom

p.s. Did you know 2 summers ago DAD sent me a huge box weighing 16 pounds ... of DAD's homegrown tomatoes... the best tomatoes I ever ate.

betty said...

Dear Mary, Jim, Beverly and family,

DAD now lives with GRACE. He worked all his life doing good for others. He understood the meaning of time being precious and not to waste it. He shared his love of roses, tomatoes, the birds he fed, the squirrels who helped themselves. He wanted us to know that the beauty of nature nurtures the soul. We miss him.
My deepest sympathy.
Aloha from HI.....Sara's aunt

Dawn said...

He was and is an inspiration. I am grateful he let us into his life. Thanks for sharing him with all of us. Hugs to all of you.

Adirondackcountrygal said...

We will certainly miss Dad.. he was such an important part of many peoples lives.

Anonymous said...

Words can not express my sorrow in learning of Dad's passing and the entire White has my deepest heart felt sympathy. Dad was a bright spot on even the darkest day. He was an inspiration in so many ways. When the Bluebirds come each spring Dad will be remembered and as a melted Snow Flake he will be a memory in my heart. Thank you Dad for all those smiles they will be deeply missed.

Hollie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! Dad will be greatly missed!! Praying that God will strengthen & comfort you all as only HE can!!

Scott Kronabetter said...

I was so sad to hear of Dad's passing. My prayers are with you; he will be missed.

Mike S. said...

Just got home from Knoxville, and it was kind of a long and lonely drive because of the recent circumstances. It is always great to see you Mary and I was glad to get to meet Jim and Beverly. I thought Dad looked so at peace, just as I would have expected. These are some difficult times for all of us right now and it's great to have each other as support systems. Love y'all.

jmuhj said...

Echoing all of the other posters' thoughts and feelings, especially those of "Anonymous", and again, my thoughts and *Prayers* are with all the family, as well as all of us all over the world who loved and treasured and will always cherish "Dad", an Elder of great wisdom, compassion, caring, and love. Truly he is with his beloved in the Divine Presence, and watching over us all. May we all honor his memory by being kind, compassionate, responsible and caring to all living beings, especially the blameless and the innocent, the animals he so loved. <3

Anonymous said...

I am saddened to read this news. I have not been on the blog website for some time but would check in every now and again on "Dad" White. He was a wonderful person from the glimpse we were allowed through his writings and testimony. I so appreciate his sharing time with all of us here and can only say he often brought a smile to my heart and memories of my grandparents just because of the way he was...my sincere condolences to the family and loved ones. One day we'll all be in heaven together and what a blessed day it will be! God Bless! ~ Lynne, from Southern, MD

Julie said...

I was so sad to read this and will miss his posting. RIP Dad.

Rose said...

Rest in peace dad!

Jess Miller said...

I'm so sad about this....I always read his blog...I am sure going to miss him.....My tomatoes this year will be in memory of him.

Jess Miller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.