Friday, May 29, 2009

ENTRY # SEVENTEEN HUNDRED & FORTY SEVEN

Good Morning,
.

Above is a picture of our first green tomato, May 29, 2009. Smile.

.

Time is so precious-do not waste it, living for thyself alone. Live for others...
.
The sun never sets on Dad's Tomato Garden Journal..
.

These two pictures above were taken Thursday afternoon . You will be seeing more soon. And be sure that you look at Dad's Tomato Garden Albuum. Dad's Tomato Garden 2009 . It shows the progress of the tomatoes almost daily. Thanks for following them right on to the sandwich. Wish you were to help me try them out. Dad.

Warm again this morning 66 at 3:A.M. and still showers predicted. I think that the high will again be near 80. That is fine with me

.

There are two questions that I need to answer here that came in a few days ago. I have misplaced the email address for both questions, One was do you use mulch ? The answer is yes I do and I believe in use lots of it.

..

And the other question is what is all that black stuff all around your tomatoe plants. The answer to this is Mulch.

. Thank you both for your questions. I will try to be more careful with your addresses in the future. Dad.

.


Posted on 15 April 2009 by tomatocasual.com

..
Reader Question: Black Edges on Tomato Leaves?

.
Tags: , ,

.
By Vanessa Richins

.
Reader Lynn S. writes:

.
“I have tomato plants that are getting black on the tips of their leaves. I have been spraying water on the leaves, right now I have them inside but plan on planting them today in my garden.
Are these black tips from putting too much water on them? Please help, I have never had my plants do this but I have never sprayed them with water either. Thank you for your help.”

...

Hi. There are at least a few possibilities for why your leaf tips are turning black.
The water on the leaves definitely could be the source of the problem. When leaves stay wet for some time, it’s an opportunity for fungal diseases to develop. It wouldn’t be quite as much as a problem if they had been outside, since the sun would dry the moisture. Since they are inside, though, the water is likely to sit on the leaf surface longer.
Water at the base, not on the leaves. In addition, try to water in the morning so there is more time for the moisture to dry if some leaves do happen to get wet.
It could also be a bacterial problem. For example, bacterial canker will turn the edges of leaves brown.
Have you been fertilizing your tomatoes? Since they are in pots, it’s very possible that too much fertilizer salts can accumulate and burn the leaves, especially if the leaves are being watered more than the soil.
Do you have many plants that are very close together? If there is not enough room for air to flow through, that could also encourage diseases.
If possible, you could send in a picture of your tomatoes so we can better see what is going on. You could also take it in to your local extension office to see if they know of problems specific to your area.

.
Good luck with figuring out what is happening!

.
Related Posts

.
Tomato Casual Answers Reader’s Question: What’s Up With My Tomato Juice?

.
TC Reader Question: Should I not use potting mixes with fertilizer when starting tomato seeds?

.
Tomato Casual Answers Reader’s Question: Storing Sun-dried Tomatoes in Oil

.


Email This Post .

.

It is too early to go up to the Eagle Web Cam It is still dark up there and I think that they would still be sleeping. But when the sun comes up we should check on them. I wish some one would give us an idea on when they mght be flying away. DAD.

.

Here is my thought for this Friday.

" Return to him who does you wrong your purest love, and he will cease from doing wrong; for love will purify the heart of him who is beloved as truly as it purfies the heart of him who loves."

From Apples of Gold.

.

It is time for me to go. I must do all that I can at the begining of this day to make it a good one. I know that I am not able to make it alone. We all are going to try to be kind and cheerful to ever one that we are with today. And don't forget our SMILE that is going all around this world, Don't let it stop with you. Keep it going. See you in the morning.

.

Bye Bye DAD

white6416r@aol.com

.

865-850-6763

.© 2009 Dad's Tomato Garden Journal all rights reserved

4 comments:

Hollie said...

Good Morning Dad,
How exciting seeing the first tomato of the season! It won't be too long now until you will be enjoying a tomato sandwich. Mmmmmm I sure hope you feel well this morning. I'm off to visit your coffee pot. have a good day!

Cindi ;) said...

Good Morning Dad,
Yippy the 1st tomato has arrived!!
have a great day

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Now that the first tomato has arrived there will be plenty more coming your way. Now we count the days til you have your first ripe one. I don't know how long that takes but it will be interesting to see. Hope you all have a great weekend. 'On Ya'-ma

jmuhj said...

Oh, Dad, your day-by-day tomato and rose pictures are wonderful! Here is the proof of a master gardener. ;) Those eaglets look like they're planning to fly over for a look, too! They're all standing on the edge of the nest and flapping their wings and calling out, "Dad's tomatoes are the best!" Really loved your still photos that you posted today, especially the second one, and your Thought For The Day is one I really need to make real in my life right now. What an amazing book APPLES OF GOLD must be!

Have a wonderful evening! Love and hugs to you and Ms. Mary from Jamaka and fams