Thursday, July 30, 2009

ENTRY # EIGHTEEN HUNDRED AND ONE

Good Morning.

Time is so precious-do not waste it
.© 2009

I am hopeing that all of you are feeing good this Thursday morning. We will do like we did yesterday morning and have our coffee the first thing. That will help us get off to a good start. I turned that coffee maker on before I sat down here, so any time that you can please do stop in and see me. DAD.

There is supposed to be a beautiful picture that goes with the article that tells about the flag below. But I don't think that I will be able to get it in this entry. Sorry DAD.


"THE FLAG THAT DOESN'T FLY

Between the fields where the flag is planted, there are 9+ miles of flower fields that go all the way to the ocean. The flowers are grown by seed companies. It's a beautiful place, close to Vandenberg AFB. Check out the dimensions of the flag. The Floral Flag is 740 feet long and 390 feet wide and maintains the proper Flag dimensions, as described in Executive Order #10834. This Flag is 6.65 acres and is the first Floral Flag to be planted with 5 pointed Stars, comprised of White Larkspur. Each Star is 24 feet in diameter; each Stripe is 30 feet wide. This Flag is estimated to contain more than 400,000 Larkspur plants, with 4-5 flower stems each, for a total of more than 2 million flowers.
For our soldiers....Please don't break it! When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer
for our servicemen. There is nothing attached.... Just send this
to all the people in your address book.
Do not stop the wheel, please.
"

A funny dog.

This below sent to me by Helen.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prOzOsJpR7Q

We have ben having a lot of thunder storms that have been a great help. Cooler and plent of rain.

Here is what AOL says is going to happen today. 7/30/09

Scattered showers and thunderstorms. High 79F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%


Posted on 29 July 2009 by tomatocasual.com

Green Energy and Tomatoes - A Splendid Combination
Tags: ,

By Vanessa Richins

There’s a fascinating new development in Ontario, Canada.
Great Northern Hydroponics is now harnessing green energy from a tri-generation power plant to grow tomato plants.
The new energy is allowing Great Northern Hydroponics to stay competitive with Mexico and the United States.
Previously, it had been difficult since it took much more energy to heat up the greenhouses than in those warmer countries. With the new energy system, they can heat the greenhouses more efficiently and lower costs.
David Stoyka, a senior account representative from Marx Layne & Co, which works with Great Northern Hydroponics, explains how Tri-generation power works. “As a Tri-generation power facility, GNH {has a} simultaneous production of three forms of energy — electricity, heating and cooling.
It burns natural gas and uses exhaust scrubbing technology to clean and extract the carbon dioxide (CO2) from the engine exhaust, then transfers the clean CO2 to the greenhouse to be used as fertilizer for the tomato plants (plants use the CO2, water and fertilizer to produce food and oxygen). For more than 10 years the technology has been in wide use throughout Western Europe, but this is its first application in North America.”
No CO2 is released into the atmosphere with this process, so Great Northern Hydroponics can be classified as an overall user of CO2.
Water is also used to cool down the engines. This heats up the water, which is then used to heat the greenhouse. Local utility companies will be using the electricity produced by the engines.
The greenhouses are located in Kingsville, Ontario. They are able to produce more than 20,282,528 pounds of tomatoes in 50 acres of greenhouses. GNH is the first hydroponics greenhouse that is certified to be compliant with ISO 9001-2000. They have also gotten high ratings for food quality and safety. No pesticides or herbicides are used.
Hopefully this is the beginning of a new era in tomato growing - healthier and greener.


Source
Related Posts

Tomatoes as Alternative Energy Source
For Lots of Tomatoes, Take Care of Your Leaves
Tomato Soup is Splendid

Email This Post

I am on my way again this Thursday morning to Sara's Dog Training to see those two beautiful Shelties. You can go with me if you wish. It always helps me to get a smile started just looking at them. And I need a smile very bad this Thursday morning. I love Shelties and I am still looking for one. DAD.


My two outside Cams are working to day and tonight # 2 is lighted for night viewing.
DAD'S OUTDOOR WEB CAM # 1

DAD'S OUTDOOR WEB CAM # 2

This is going to be all for today. I have lots that needs to be done today, so I want to get out there early. You might want to check on me on one of the outside cams. I hope that your day goes well. And remember to be kind to everyone today. And you know without me telling you to smile.

Remember my side panel if you need anything that is not in this blog.

Bye Bye Dad

© 2009 Dad's Tomato Garden Journal all rights reserved.

Posted by Dad on 7/30/09

8 comments:

adamaurine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
adamaurine said...

Good morning, Ray. Thanks for inspiring me every day with your words of wisdom. I'm sorry you are sad today and I hope it gets better. Love, Maurine

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm sorry you are feeling sad. Here is a ***BIG SMILE*** to brighten your day. I do hope you can SMILE too.

Hollie said...

Good Morning Dad :0)

Enjoy your day today. It's raining here. I love sitting & listening to it! Thanks for the coffee!

mandytdandy said...

Hope you cheer up soon, Grandpa! Alex and I are looking forward to seeing you SMILE in person this weekend! We've got a couple smiles to give you too! :)

Love,
Mandy

Sayit-baldys said...

DAD, THE EVILS OF THE WORLD TODAY ARE ENOUGH TO MAKE CHRISTIANS SAD.

SAD THAT SOME WE SEE CARRYING A BIBLE AND AN AMERICAN FLAG SEEM TO BELIEVE THAT FOR POLITICAL REASONS THEY CAN ACCEPT PRACTICES THAT ARE PLAINLY IN VIOLATION OF CHRISTIAN TEACHING.

AN EXAMPLE IS ABORTION. A CANDIDATE THAT WILL NOT COME OUT IN THE OPEN AND SAY THEY ARE AGAINST ABORTION IN ANY FORM IS A CANDIDATE THAT IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED.

DAD. PERHAPS YOUR SADNESS IS BECAUSE OUR PRESIDENT OBAMA PROMISSED NO 'PORK' IN HIS ADMINISTRATION IF ELECTED AND NO LOBBYING WOULD BE ALLOWED.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE TRANSPARENCY. TOO MANY CLOSED DOOR MEETINGS.

I MAY BE WRONG IN THINKING THAT DAD MAY BE SAD OVER THESE THINGS MENTIONED. WE OLDER FOLKS HAVE A RIGHT TO BE SAD AND IT WILL PASS TO A TIME OF HAPPY DAYS, CONFIDENT THAT GOOD WILL PREVAIL.

PLEASE HURRY UP 'GOOD', WE'RE WAITING. sam

Kelly said...

Good afternoon Dad :) Glad to see you got the pictures. My tomatoes are still small, but they look really good. I have tried to take good care of them. I did find one with blossom end rot on it, but I just went ahead and took it off so the plant wouldn't direct its attention to a tomato that was not going to be any good. Thankyou for all your inspirational words, you always manage to put a smile on my face when I come here to visit. I am honored to have you and Mary as our friends. :) Love, Kelly

jmuhj said...

Dear Dad and Ms. Mary:

Your garden looks lovely this early evening! And I'm going to have to Google that flag and see if I can see it -- it sounds amazing.

That's a great tomato article, too. Is there anything that isn't positive about tomatoes? ;)

I hope you and Ms. Mary have a lovely evening. Love to you both from Jamaka and fams