Tuesday, October 20, 2009

ENTRY # EIGHTEEN HUNDRED & SEVENTY ONE

Good Morning,
.
.."Begin the day with God."
.
" Time is so precious-do not waste it ."
.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, "I will try again tomorrow".
My good friend VICKI who lives in Birmimgham sent me this above.
.

Fishin' and A-Wishin'

.
Out on the lake in my little boat, Hoping for a catfish to pull on the float, A catch would help my present disposition, Sittin' in my boat, fishin' and a-wishin'.
.
Baloney sandwich's tastin' good, Everything a-goin' just the way it should. My float goes underwater, And I know I have a bite. .
"Bring on that fish," I say, "I'm ready for a fight!" The rod goes in the water, My sandwich follows suit, That old Grand Daddy catfish Is such a stubborn brute!

.
And so I say to all of you Who never have gone fishin', Don't miss the fun that you can have, Just Fishin' and a-Wishin'.
.
.© 2009 by Mary L White all rights reserved.
.
We need to stop in this morning and see our friends Sara, Misty and Oreo. I want to thank you Sara for those new pictures that you have made. They are beautiful and Misty seems so happy and she looks like that she is feeling good. If any of you want to go with me this morning come on here is the only way to get there just click on this Sara's Dog Training and we are there. Now smile. Dad.
.
.
When Sam read about my experience working in a grocery store Dad's Grocery Store Days he sent me this below, and it was just so good I wanted to let you read it,, THANKS Sam.
.
.DAD,THIS ENTRY BROUGHT BACK MEMORIES TO ME OF THE COUNTRY STORE THAT OUR FAMILY OPERATED IN THE FLINTROCK HILLS OF EASTERN OKLAHOMA.THIS WAS ALSO IN THE 1930S AS WAS YOUR STORE .
.
EXPERIENCES.SOMETIMES HAD TO SHOO A CAT OUT OF A BARREL TO FILL AN ORDER.OUR FAMILY COUNTRY STORE WAS A MUCH SMALLER OPERATION THAN THE ONE YOU WORKED IN, DAD.DURING WINTER MONTHS WE HAD A POT BELLIED HEATING STOVE IN THE CENTER PART OF THE AREA WHERE NEIGHBORING FARMERS AND AN OCCASIONAL TOURIST GATHERED AROUND TELLING TALES, SOMETIMES QUESTIONABLE.
.
AS NOW, THERE WERE THEN SOME THAT ALSO TALKED WITH THEIR HANDS. GETTING INTO THE HEART OF THE STORY AND GYRATING HANDS AND ARMS, THE BANANA STALK HANGING FROM THE CEILING SUFFERED SOME BACKHAND BLOWS AS THE ARM WAS ADDING EMPHASIS TO THE STORY.DAD I AM SURE THERE MUST HAVE BEEN STALKS OF BANANAS HANGING IN THE STORE YOU WORKED IN, THEY JUST DID NOT APPEAR IN YOUR PHOTO.

.THE KEROSENE BARREL WAS KEPT OUTSIDE, NEVER LOCKED. A CUSTOMER COULD FILL THEIR OWN CAN AND LET US KNOW HOW MUCH TO CHARGE. THE PRICE WAS TEN CENTS A GALLON.THERE WERE NO ELECTRIC LINES IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD, SO OF COURSE LAMPS USED A LOT OF KEROSENE.
.
ANOTHER ITEM SOLD IN SPRING AND SUMMER WAS ONE HUNDRED POUND BAGS OF CANE SUGAR. BLACKBERRY TIME MEANT CANNING TIME FOR BERRIES AND JELLY MAKING. THESE TIMES WERE THE GREAT DEPRESSION TIMES AND MOST FAMILIES WERE THINKING AHEAD FOR THE COMING WINTER'S FOOD SUPPLY. THEN TOO WERE VEGETABLES, FRUIT INCLUDING PLUMS, PEACHES, APPLES, GRAPES FOR JUICE AND WINE.NOT TO FORGET FOOD FOR THE HORSES AND COWS. FILL THAT BARN LOFT WITH HAY AND OATS IN THE GRAIN BINS.
.
WE 'UNS BACK YONDER IN THEM THAR HILLS IN THE OZARK FOOTHILLS HAINT HAD HIT BADLY LACK THIM CITY 'UNS.WE HEERED UV THE SOUP LINES AN TAKE YUR BUCKIT TO GIT SUPPER.(THOUGHT THE MODERN DAY CHILDREN WOULD ENJOY HEARING HOW SOME OLD TIMERS TALKED.)

HOPEFULLY NO MORE DEPRESSIONS.sam Posted by Sayit-baldys to Dads Tomato Garden.

.
In Happy moments, praise God.
.
In Difficult moments, seek God.
.
In Quiet moments, worship God.
.
In Painful moments, trust God.
.
In Every moment, thank God
.
Don't go for looks; they can deceive. Don't go for wealth; even that fades away. Go for someone who makes you smile, Because it takes only a smile to
Make a dark day seems bright. Find the one that makes your heart smile!

.
I have a nice weather report here this Tuesday morning from AOL.
.
Today.10/20/09
.
Mainly sunny. High 71F. Winds light and variable.

.
Dad's Airplane Flying Days.. This is not much but it does bring back a lot of memories to me, some not so pleasant. Dad.
,
I do need to go, I have an appointment with that Doctor of mine at an early hour 8 a.m. He wants me to see him every 4 month whether I feel bad or not. I do feel real good this morning, my sleep was restful. I will be back in the morning if all is well.
.
Be kind to all today and try to give them one of our famous Smiles.
.
BYE BYE DAD.
.
.© 2009 Dad's Tomato Garden Journal all rights reserved

8 comments:

Becky said...

What a good entry! Thanks so much for sharing Sam's letter, I really enjoyed that. I've got to get caught up with the last several days of journal entries, I've missed a few.

Hope your doctor finds you fit as a fiddle-- and that you do something fun (like go to Starbuck's) when you get out of there.

Love, Becky

Becky said...

PS Forgot to mention how good Mary's poem was, and all the other things, too!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I hope all goes well with your doctors visit today and am glad to hear you are feeling so well too.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Mary's Poem was delightful!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning DAD... I am smiling this morning. On the table next to me is a small silver frame with a photo of some, unknown to me, actress from the 50s. I found it in my mailbox. It had a 50 cent sticker on it and a note "to Joan from Sophie". Sophie is a lovely, always smiling, 8 year old who just stops by every now and than to say hello and talk a bit. Even her mother didn't know that her sweet Sophie had left a gift to make me SMILE again.

Mary's poem made me think about the day Sara, Len and I went canoeing. Our canoe tipped over and the lunch got soaked. After retrieving the canoe, we sat on a rock eating our baloney sandwiches after I had twisted them like a rag to get out all of the water. And boy did that baloney sandwich taste good!

I hope the doctor tells you to keep drinking that Starbuck's and writing your blog. We all need your daily SMILES.

...Sara's Mom

Brush Strokes said...

Hi Uncle Ray,

Tell Mary I like her poem! I thnk Jim will certainly appreciate it!

Love,
Karen

Work From Home Data Entry said...

This site is so cool, love reading all the blog and postings, hope to chat with you soon... :)

Work From Home Data Entry

Sara said...

DAD,
Hope you made out OK at the doctor today.

I loved reading your airplane days story, just as much as your grocery store days. I could see my Jeff doing the same thing. I got him a ride in a WWII war plane as an anniversary gift once. He got to go up with a pilot, who actually let Jeff fly the plane and do some trick maneuvers. He loved it.

Jeff stays on the ground now, and flies remote control planes, but I know he'd like to go up in a real one again.

Thanks for sharing your stories. They are a treasure.