Friday, October 22, 2010

ENTRY # TWO THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED EIGHT

Note: I will be back on my regular journal on monday morning. I will be glad to see you there. I will have Sumatra x bold and all kinds tea. DAD

.
Good Morning

.
Well here I come , today I will try to keep this all about my memories of long ago , 90 years or more.Things that impressed my young heart. I am sure that you all will understand, there will be other days to talk about other things. Such as Coffee and Misty and Oreo. And when I come back I am going to talk to them first.
..
Before I get started this morning I need to talk to my first cousin Margaret who was so kind to send this to me. if you see this please call me at 577-8495 or email at white6416r@aol.com I will appreciate it. Thanks for the pictures and all that you sent . DAD

I was thinking of one thing early this morning, I was talking about cookies that my Grand Ma gladly fixed for us children, they were the Molasses's Cookies very popular in those days. Have you ever tasted one of these ? I was old enough to help at that time, keeping that horse going round to grind the cane and get the syrup.
.
Another thing that I really enjoyed was to stand in the barn in the early morning and watch Grand Father harness up his team of horses for the day's work ahead, he had two mules, their name were Rock and Pete that he loved dearly and they loved him. He was kind to them and they stood so still while he placed all of that heavy harness to their shoulders. That impressed my young heart.
.
Several of you have ask me if this building still stands , yes it really does, I can be there in 15 minutes from my home. This picture is a view of the side, to the left is a large porch with two swings on it, that is where we had so many good visits with Grand Father Grand Mother, precious memories.
.
And on the right is the back porch and the door to those cookies, I can remember so well running in that door and straight to the cookies. Sweet Grand Ma, she loved us.
.
And I will talk about that crowd of people sitting there later.
.
This will be open all day, and as something comes to my mind I will get it on here. " Hang in there."
.
3:17 pm, Friday, I want to say a little more about Grandfathers barn, I may have told you some of this before, it was a large two story building, the straw that we threshed was kept up there. and up there the birds had a ball, nice place for them in the winter, but what impressed my little mind was the part down stairs, he had two nice stalls or I called them bedrooms for Rock and Pete, sweet memories of seeing him there on the early morning.
.
" Time is so precious- do not waste it"
.
10/23/10... At 3 am this morning precious thoughts were still coming to me. when I was very young I was very scared of thunder storms, in the hot afternoons when a black cloud came up in the west I was terrified and ran to my mother crying and wanting her to hide me, I would be trembling all over, and my mother was a source of great comfort. I am wondering now why was I so scared, I love them now.
.
.
10/23/1o 7:44 am, I want to tell you about my mothers clothes washing day, that will never leave my young mind. As you know there was a larger family and a lot of cl0thes to wash. My brother Ralph and I were the ones to help here, what memories , here is a little of what went on. First the clothes were divided into about three piles, my mother took these and hand washed them using Octagon s0ap, she had a little washboard in a tub.
.
Ralph and I , been setting up a large cast iron pot out in the yard with a fire and the water was boiling, Mother placed all these clothes in that pot and boiled them a long time, when she was satisfied with them they had to be wrung out by hand and hung on a outside clothes line to dry, if the clothes line would not hold them we used the fence. My Dad was so proud of my mother. This was all hard work but it brings back sweet memories to me and to know that I was a little part of this.
.
It is 12:56 and I think that I can get this last one in. This is more about the Kindness of both of them, kindness means a lot to children and it done much for me. Near our home there was a summer resort called The Sulphur Springs which attracted lots of people. The water of course had a very strong sulphur taste and smell, but we children loved it, now is the surprise that we received, one Saturday morning they hooked Rock and Pete to a little wagon that they used to travel around the country in, and had us on our way to the Sulphur Springs to spend the day. And they had more food that you could ever eat, pies and cakes and all the fixings, we spread that all out on the green grass and what a day. Now I ask you could you ever forget kindness like that, I can't it seems like only yesterday.
.
It is 2:11 pm time for my last entry. When I was in school my first year it was in a building that my Great grandfather gave for a school. In my first year I had a little dog named Penny, that I loved so much, and he followed me every where. And in my first school book there was a story in it about Baby Ray and his little dog Penny, I was so proud of him. One of my readers found a copy of this book and gave it to me. Do you see why these are sweet- Sweet memories to me.
**********************************
Thanks to all of you for your help in this. I appreciate it so much, I am working on something to give you.I hope to see you monday morning back on my regular Journal. I will be so glad to see you
.
I am sending Love and good wishes to all the world.
.
" BE GOOD "
.

BYE BYE DAD

16 comments:

Sara said...

DAD,
Keep writing! We can all smell those cookies baking in your grandmother's oven.

One of my favorite cookies growing up were called ginger snaps, but they were full of molasses. I remember my hands getting coated in sugar as we rolled them into balls before putting them on the tray to bake. YUM!

Isn't it funny how we remember those simple, little things, like cookies? I guess that's what's important in life -the little things.

Boy, you do teach us stuff everyday.

~Sara

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How wonderful the house is still there and close by too. I enjoyed your memories today and hope you'll be sharing more. Have a wonderful Friday!

Joan said...

Good Morning DAD...

What wonderful memories. A little bit of hard work to get the syrup and than the reward of fresh baked cookies. I love the smell of molasses. And, I will be making some of those soft ginger cookies with lots of molasses this weekend. Just yesterday my friend who is moving dropped off some goodies from her cupboards and one was a huge jar of Grandma's Molasses, which immediately brought in mind Sara's favorite childhood cookie. My recipe is from a small pamphlet bought at Sturbridge Village where we first smelled and tasted their Lumberjacks. Maybe Sara will want to come by to help.

I hope the farm house is in good condition and loved by the new owners as much as it was loved by the White Family over a century ago. And I hope they grow tomatoes!

Have a wonderful, memory filled day.
...Sara's Mom

madcobug said...

I can almost smell those cookies. My Granddad used to have a syrup mill. I remember the family used to work that with his horses. I can still taste the new juice which wasn't good at all. Those yellow jackets loved it though. My Aunt Mary used to make gingerbread cookies and molasses cakes. I used to make the syrup cakes myself. My family loved them. I remember he had a wheat thrasher also. A lot of memories from back them. My paternal granddad was a gruff speaking man. I was a little afraid of him. I loved my maternal granddad though. Helen

Fowfies said...

I dont believe I have had the pleasure of having molasses cookies. If I have, it was when I was very young and I don't remember. One day when you and Mary are out you should stop and take a picture of what your old house looks like now, that would be neat to see! It does sound like a time when the simple things were enjoyed thoughtfully. I love that. Thank you for sharing more of your memories today, I am enjoying this very much. :) Love, Kelly

Ally Lifewithally said...

Dear Dad yes please do keep telling us about your memories ~ it is so lovely to share them with you ~ Ally x

jmuhj said...

Dear Dad, Ms. Mary, and sweet Prince Charming:

Love your post today -- and while I have only ever had store-bought molasses cookies, my maternal grandmother and I used to be mad about molasses candy coated in dark chocolate from Fannie Mae Candies. Have you ever heard of these, Dad?

My paternal grandmother loved me like no tomorrow and your post brings back beloved memories of her.

I'm so glad to know your family home still stands, and I hope whoever lives there now takes very good care of it because it's a treasure!

Love to you all, and have a wonderful afternoon, evening, and weekend, from Jamaka and fams ;)

Anonymous said...

Good Evening, DAD,
It is late to be posting but I wanted to let you know that I am enjoying the stories you are sharing. I never had fresh molasses from cane but I have had it from sugar beets. It is good stuff. There are a lot of relatives in the photo that we are waiting to be introduced to. Too bad that Rock and Pete were in their "bedroom" when the photographer came by.
Aloha.....Sara's aunt

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing these memories with us, Dad... it is a great pleasure.

Sara said...

Boy, we are spoiled rotten by our washing machines now, aren't we. Throw the clothes in, turn it on, and like magic, they come out clean!

I don't think I've ever seen an octogon washing board. I've only seen rectangular ones.

I just washed Misty & Oreo. They haven't come up with a machine for that yet!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Joan said...

Hello DAD..

Love your "wash day" story. It was such hard work and clothes worn while farming must have been heavy and very dirty. It really was an all day job. My first machine was a Maytag ringer washer and a clothes line but after a few years of that I was very happy to get an automtic washer and dryer. Even that is becoming obsolete...now they have all those big energy efficient ones with the doors in the front in any color you want. I hear in Europe they even make ones that do both the washing and the dryer...no need to transfer the clothes from one to the other.

I will have to let Sara know that the brand name of the soap was Octogon; the washboard was rectangular. We will forgive her for being so young and not knowing this.

Enjoy your Saturday dreaming of days long ago.

...Sara's Mom

Ally Lifewithally said...

My Dear Dad thankyou so much for sharing your memories with us ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Dear DAD,
I would love to go on a trip to the Sulphur Springs. The water is so good for our bodies.
I don't think I will see you and Mary hanging the wash on Monday morning when I check on Cam 1,2,3. It is great fun to read your stories. It warms our hearts and keeps us in smiles. Don't stop now! Aloha....Sara's aunt

Becky said...

Isn't it funny how the sweetest memories are often times the everyday kinds of things like doing the laundry or going for a drive. When I think back to when my parents were alive, I'd give almost anything to just have one more "average" day with them. How beautiful it is that you were able to witness the love between your mother and dad. I love how you use the word "kindness"... it has great power, doesn't it, when someone is kind toward you? But you are also a very special man to appreciate your parents as much as you do. And we appreciate you, and your kindness, and your stories, so very much.

jmuhj said...

Dear Dad, Ms. Mary and sweet Prince Charming:

Really love reading your memory stories, Dad! I just happened across a half-hour film on TV about a man who does traditional "buck dancing" and his nephew (I think) who plays traditional banjo/old time music in TN. I love this kind of music and dancing! The gentleman reminded me of you in his personality; he said being humble is important. It certainly is ;) Wishing you all a relaxing, restful and good weekend and safe journeys. Love from Jamaka and fams, with special PURRS to the Prince >^^<

Lisa said...

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful memories with us. Made me feel like I was right there!!